Corfu in January: weather and travel tips

written by Joanne Owen

updated 31.10.2023

While summer favourite Corfu might not be the first place that springs to mind for a winter break, there are plenty of reasons to visit the island out of season. Intrigued? Read on to find out everything you need to know about the weather in Corfu in January.

Is January a good time to visit Corfu?

Given that Corfu is often seen as a sizzling summer destination, it's fair to say that January isn’t the most obvious month to visit the island. 

However, if you don't mind the lower temperatures and are into culture, cuisine and secluded strolls — January is a pretty good time to come to Corfu. With quite mild weather, you can enjoy exploring the island's rich history, and visiting its historical sites.

January also marks the beginning of the carnival season in Greece, with various parades and celebrations taking place. Check the local calendar for any festival or event happening during your visit.

Considering visiting Corfu in January? Talk to our Greek travel experts and embark on your adventure hassle-free.

Idyllic Agios Stefanos on the Greek island of Corfu,© Shutterstock

While the weather in Corfu in January is cool, you can enjoy scenic strolls on idyllic Agios Stefanos © Shutterstock

Air and sea temperatures in Corfu in January

Average daily temperatures in Corfu in January range from 9°C to 14°C (48°F - 57°F). It can get pretty chilly, especially during the evenings and nights.

With an average sea temperature of 16°C, all but the most hardened of visitors won’t want to swim in the sea. You’re better off staying somewhere with a heated pool, or else focussing on enjoying brisk scenic strolls and cultural activities.

Inspired to visit? Browse our inspirational Greece itineraries to start planning your perfect trip.

Kerkyra, capital of Corfu island, Greece © Shutterstock

Kerkyra, Corfu, Greece © Shutterstock

Average rainfall in January

The weather in Corfu in January is pretty rainy. You stand a 51% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 49% chance of seeing some clouds and rain. The average rainfall is approximately 121mm or 4.8 inches.

For more detail on the weather in Greece around the year, read up on when to go to Greece.

What about the crowds and cost?

Though Corfu is a year-round destination, January is in the heart of the island’s low season. This means small crowds, and lower costs when it comes to accommodation and flights.

Decided to book a January break? For further inspiration, read up on more of the best places to visit in January.

Portokalopita, orange pie Corfu, Greek dessert © AS Food studio/Shutterstock

Enjoy portokalopita orange pie in Corfu © AS Food studio/Shutterstock

Unforgettable, fully customisable Greece itineraries 

If you fancy kicking off the new year in style, you’ll find tonnes of trip inspiration in our Greece itineraries — here we highlight just a few of them.

  • The Historical and Mythological Cyclades islands (10 days): this trip includes two of the most famous Cyclades Islands: Mykonos and Santorini. Visit them and some of the smaller, quieter, islands. With white washed houses, narrow cobbled streets, blue domed roofs and stunning beaches, they are what Greece is all about.
  • Greek Dreams: Athens, Corfu, Santorini and Crete (13 days): embark on a a private journey through Athens and beautiful Greek islands staying in exquisite accommodations. Explore ancient history, savor Mediterranean cuisine, and unwind in stunning settings, creating beautiful memories throughout.
  • Epirus and Athens — the Ancient Sites (8 days): shrouded in myths and legends of Greek gods and Roman and Byzantine warriors, sites in the Epirus region of Greece have fascinating tales to tell. Add to that exploring Athens and the magic of mortuaries Zagori, and this amounts to a diversely exhilarating experience.

All these suggestions can be customised to your exact needs, with a Greece travel expert on hand to offer insider tips, and take the hassle out of planning and booking.

The Corinthian Canal in Greece © Shutterstock

Boat on the Corinthian Canal, Greece © Shutterstock

Tips for travelling to Corfu in January

What to wear in Corfu in January

Bearing in the mind that the average high temperature sits around 14°C, you’ll want to wear the likes of long trousers and pullovers.

You'll also want to come armed with scarves and gloves, especially if you’re planning evening strolls and a bit of night-time bar-hopping action.

Don't forget to take a brolly, a waterproof coat or jacket, and shoes that are suitable for wet weather walking.

Check for seasonal closures

If you’ve previously visited Corfu during the summer and are hoping to return to your favourite high season haunts, be aware that many hotels, resorts, bars and restaurants close their doors during the quieter winter months.

You’ll also want to research flights and ferries in good time — there’ll be fewer running in January.

Consider renting a car 

Related to seasonal closures, while Corfu’s public transport system doesn’t shut-down during out-of-season months like January, bus services will be reduced.

As a result, if you’re thinking of travelling off the beaten track, you might want to hire a car.

Fattoush is a Levantine salad made from toasted or fried pieces of khubz combined with mixed greens and other vegetables © Cristina.A/Shutterstock

Fattoush: local food of Corfu, Greece © AS Food studio/Shutterstock

What to do in Corfu in January 

Discover the Old Town of Corfu without crowds

One of Greece’s most elegant island capitals, Corfu Town can get oppressively packed in summer. All the better to explore it in winter, when you can lose yourself in the romantic alleys of the historic centre and Jewish quarter.

Take a day trip to nearby islands

Consider going on a day trip to one of the neighbouring Ionian islands, such as Paxos or Antipaxos. These offer beautiful scenery and peaceful beaches. 

Go on a scenic drive

Rent a car and and explore the hidden beaches as you travel the gorgeous coastal roads. Even in winter the island's natural beauty is spectacular. You can also visit the villages of Corfu to discover more about the traditions and culture of this region.

Enjoy incredible Corfu cuisine

With the weather in Corfu in January not so suitable for basking on the beach, it’s the ideal time to indulge your inner gourmand and make the most of the island’s cafés and restaurants. 

Thanks to the island lush landscape and climate, we can enjoy a remarkable Corfu food culture. You won’t need to book a table, and the food is fresh and to-die-for delicious.

Explore museums

Make the most of the off-season by visiting the island's various museums. Explore the Archaeological Museum of Corfu or the Museum of Asian Art. Alternatively, visit the Casa Parlante, a museum depicting the lifestyle of a Corfu noble family from the 19th century.

Things not to miss: old town of Kerkira, Corfu, Greece.

Take your time ambling the Old Town © Shutterstock

Planning your January trip to Corfu

Love the sound of Corfu? Get yourself The Mini Rough Guide to Corfu. For more island inspiration, read, up on the best Greek Islands to start planning your trip.  

Alternatively, if you’re not keen on planning, browse our customisable Greece itineraries.

Joanne Owen

written by Joanne Owen

updated 31.10.2023

Joanne is a Pembrokeshire-born writer with a passion for the nature, cultures and histories of the Caribbean region, especially Dominica. Also passionate about inspiring a love of adventure in young people, she’s the author of several books for children and young adults, hosts international writing workshops, and has written articles on the Caribbean and inspirational community initiatives for Rough Guides. Follow her @JoanneOwen on Twitter and @joanneowenwrites on Instagram.

Planning your own trip? Prepare for your trip

Use Rough Guides' trusted partners for great rates

Ready to travel and discover

Get support from our local experts for
stress-free planning & worry-free travels

Plan my trip ⤍